3 Most Common Carpet Stains – Carpet Stain Removal ManchesterJune 10, 2016
Rug Cleaner Manchester | The Soft Feeling on Your Feet in Hard Floored RoomsJune 20, 2016
Cleaning of your Persian Rug in Manchester, has never been easier! Call 0800 246 5326 TODAY for a quote!
Though we do offer an upholstery cleaning service that has restored the pride and joy of many people who thought their prized piece of furniture was ruined, we are more often called on to clean carpets. This has led to a bit of an obsession with them and we thought we would share some of the things we have found out so here it is – Five Things You Never Knew About Carpets!
- The word ‘carpet’ comes from a Latin word – carpere – which means ‘to pluck’. This is because carpets at that time were made from unravelled or ‘plucked’ lengths of fabric. Ever heard the Latin phrase carpe diem, meaning ‘seize the day’? This is the same root word, ‘seize’ being a synonym for ‘pluck’ in the language.
- In the early part of the 20th century, carpet cleaning became of interest and the vacuum cleaner was born. Unfortunately, the first models (which took at least three people to successfully operate) were massive, unreliable machines powered by coal, which often made the carpet dirtier than it was to begin with!
- The oldest carpet in the world that still survives (although it has admittedly gotten a little threadbare in the intervening years) has been dated to be around 2,000 years old. It was discovered in a tomb in Siberia and is known as the Pazyryk Carpet.
- An old method of carpet cleaning was to scatter tea leaves on the carpet, a process that would supposedly ‘bring all the dirt to the surface’ for easier sweeping. We don’t recommend this!
- A red carpet for the rich, famous and powerful to walk on is closely associated with glamorous movie premières and haute couture fashion shows but the tradition dates back much further – the oldest recorded reference to a red carpet at an important ceremony is from 458 BC, when it was mentioned by Aeschylus of Agamemnon.
Whatever kind of carpet you have (except precious 2,000-year-old varieties!), Limelight Carpet Cleaning in Manchester can get it looking its best. Our service is reliable, professional and cost-effective, delivering consistent positive results to our many satisfied customers.
How’s YOUR carpet looking? If you think it could be better, then call us FREE today on 0800 246 5326. Limelight – a cleaner carpet for a happier house. We clean all over Manchester, Trafford & Salford!